Advanced design aluminum bridge decking technologies offer
unmatched advantages over traditional concrete and steel
- Accelerated construction saves significant time and
money in both A+B and A+B+C bid evaluations. Our
technologies are perfect for many bridge rehabilitation
projects because of reduced agency and community costs.
There are immediate user benefits for local schools,
police departments, fire protection, businesses and
- Reduced lifecycle costs from initial installation
throughout the life of the bridge:
- Limited traffic interruption, reduced car and truck
user costs, and lower traffic control costs
- Lower maintenance costs from a skid resistant epoxy
and aggregate bonded wearing surface compared to
concrete deck repairs or replacement
- Never needs painting even in the presence of deicing
salts (100+ year bridge life without paint), is
recyclable (and potentially reusable)
- Lightweight (23 pounds per square foot) decreases dead
load. The construction mirrors the strength of monolithic
concrete. Aluminum deck is up to 75% lighter than steel with
concrete, allowing for widening of functionally obsolete
bridges using the existing substructure. Many bridges not
currently rated to carry trucks, buses and some emergency
vehicles can be opened to such traffic.
- “Deployment Ready” technology can be preassembled for
rapid bridge deck or whole bridge replacement.
- Facilitates rehabilitation versus replacement.
- Aluminum is the environmentally friendly “green” metal.
Our bridge decking contains significant recycled content
and is easily and profitably recycled - 75 percent of all
aluminum extrusions produced since 1888 is still in use!
- Designed around infinite fatigue life using AASHTO
We offer composite or non-composite applications. Panels can
be shipped over-the-road for rapid on-site installation.
L.B. Foster is an authorized distributor of AlumaBridge, LLC aluminim orthotropic and isotropic bridge deck.